A Worldly Citizen
© 2005 Annabelle A. Udo
Chevron Gas Prices o' the Day (19th Avenue)
$2.99
$3.09
$3.19
I have been waking up with feelings that I'm in another country living the life as a woman with a different ethnicity and another language on my tongue. My urge strengthens as I search for the arched window with silken curtains that opens out to the view of a densely populated town by the sea. . .and I inhale the deep aroma of the darkest grinds of coffee here on earth. I stretch as if wearing a long, white, transparent gown and my swollen breasts become noticeable in the dim light of the morning.
Slowly I turn my head towards the mirror and I see who I am today--a sister to my siblings, a daughter to my father and mother, a neighbor to the gentleman and his dog, a friend to my childhood classmate, a stranger to the passersby on the street.
My soul seems to be transient--hopping from one land to the next--sitting by fires flickering in the desert night or bathing in the rain during the light of day.
It is here where I can rest. . .be myself--without the pollution of speeding cars or the grumblings of somebody else's judgment.
Here I am--a place for me to be in solitude. The riddle of my life is that I can belong when I'm everywhere but nowhere can I be found in just one place.
Chevron Gas Prices o' the Day (19th Avenue)
$2.99
$3.09
$3.19
I have been waking up with feelings that I'm in another country living the life as a woman with a different ethnicity and another language on my tongue. My urge strengthens as I search for the arched window with silken curtains that opens out to the view of a densely populated town by the sea. . .and I inhale the deep aroma of the darkest grinds of coffee here on earth. I stretch as if wearing a long, white, transparent gown and my swollen breasts become noticeable in the dim light of the morning.
Slowly I turn my head towards the mirror and I see who I am today--a sister to my siblings, a daughter to my father and mother, a neighbor to the gentleman and his dog, a friend to my childhood classmate, a stranger to the passersby on the street.
My soul seems to be transient--hopping from one land to the next--sitting by fires flickering in the desert night or bathing in the rain during the light of day.
It is here where I can rest. . .be myself--without the pollution of speeding cars or the grumblings of somebody else's judgment.
Here I am--a place for me to be in solitude. The riddle of my life is that I can belong when I'm everywhere but nowhere can I be found in just one place.
















<< Home