Saturday, June 11, 2005

Changing Lanes

Chevron Gas Prices o' the Day (19th Avenue)
$2.33
$2.43
$2.53

Time goes by fast when living from paycheck to paycheck--it's waiting for that day to arrive but forgetting all the other days in between. I often dream of rent-free days as a child, riding in the front seat of the shopping cart in the grocery store and being pushed around reaching for items that I couldn't buy because I was only 3 years old and had no real purchasing power. I reflect on the constant bad hair days of being a high school student in the '80s, and I frown at my college days of bad eating habits in Verducci Hall at San Francisco State University.

My life has transformed significantly and I share upon those who are stuck in the hamster wheel who endeavor to reach the medicine wheel that there is life outside of Corporate America. Having recently left my job of 8 years, I found the sky to be bluer than the eyes of angels and the earth to be as soft as the balmy winds of summer. "You look happier these days" are the comments I've been receiving versus "You have dark circles under your eyes."

I have learned that respect for myself extends to consciously respecting others and that strolling isn't walking too slow, but extending the leisure of time. I wake up from the night feeling refreshed and I depart from the day with new experiences.

So for those of you hunting and gathering for your next step, it's right under your foot. There are drivers and there are passengers--if you can look back and see that there's nothing else coming up from behind--maybe it's time to step on the gas and change lanes.