Friday, April 29, 2005

Yours, Mine, and Ours

Chevron Gas Prices o' the Day (19th Avenue)
$2.63 - Regular Unleaded
$2.73 - Premium
$2.83 - Supreme

There are times when I am in deep reverie on a Saturday morning. . . and the sun itself is still very sleepy. With my blinds still shut I bend a few slats to peer out at the mood of the day. . . and. .. the gas prices of the day. The same patterns of impatient drivers and pesky pedestrians interacting with each other begin as if they clock in with their timecards before the boss shows up--whoever that might be. Meanwhile, I'm thinking that I need to take care of domestic chores--wash the dishes, sweep the floors of the apartment I only rent, not own. I am a slave of the City's beauty. Wanting more to be a part of its luscious landscape that people come from millions of miles away to visit--I am a part of their pilgrimage--the postcard they once received and now can send in the same way that I sent myself a note from the Philippines only to arrive in the United States 2 days before receiving this self-addressed stamped letter to myself. As I see it, the moon, the sky, the clouds, and all the dot-to-dot constellations that we revisit each time a clear night comes our way--these things belong to all of us, without a doubt. It's not about ownership, but, rather about relationship with the universe.