Thursday, April 28, 2005

The Snooze Button

Chevron Gas Prices o' the Day (19th Avenue)
$2.63 - Regular Unleaded
$2.73 - Premium
$2.83 - Supreme

In the beginning. . .the alarm clock goes off at 6:30 a.m. But, in my half awake state, I am also. . .half asleep. At this point, I hit the snooze button and psych myself into hanging out with the friends I have made in my dreams. For some reason I am always on a university campus with lots of hilly routes to reach my class. The weather is humid and lots of overcast and oftentimes my dreams take place in the late '80s. In this particular dream, I'm supposed to be going to class but end up at a small ice cream shoppe with tall tables and tall barstools. It's almost always silent in my dreams even though it's bustling with people and enjoyment. Here, I am still. Quiet in this beehive of activity. Thinking, thinking, thinking and observing. . .. drifting further into a deeper sleep and then I wake up to my hand clutching my battery operated alarm clock holding down the snooze button. . .and it's 2 hours later. Rush, rush, rush and up the hill to catch my train. Another workout in the rain as my umbrella slows me down and I huff and puff my way up the avenue. When I arrive, the train stop is empty and the guy who is always warming up his motorcycle in the morning has already left. I am late. Just another day and the gas prices haven't even changed.